Sunday, September 22, 2002

CONFUSION

Originally written the day after the 'Challenger' space shuttle explosion, January 1986
Revised 21 October 1987


  • When you feel the world has beaten the snot
    out of you and you don't know all the reasons.
  • When you mourn over a tragic incident
    without knowing why it happened
  • When the President tries to console you by saying
    that the seven involved in that incident were
    able to "touch the face of God" and people still
    feel bad.
  • When you don't know all the reasons
  • When you can't find the answers to your questions

  • Do we mourn because we thought we were
    so great that no one, not even God, could stop us?
  • Is God a God that punishes us for going beyond
    the golden mean?
  • I s the reason for our sorrow the fact that we miss those people?
  • Or is it because we don't know how to explain to
    their children why their mommys and daddys
    cannot come home and where they've gone?
  • Is that our confusion?

  • If Heaven is supposed to be such a great
    place, then why do people cry and mourn and
    wear black clothes when others die?
  • Is this an instance of our trying to overcome
    Fate, by not wishing these people to leave us so soon?

  • Do I really know what I'm talking about?
  • Why can't I express all of my feelings on
    paper so that they'll give the same impression
    that the idea gave to my mind? The way it is
    with these ideas, these fleeting images which I
    consider important, is that my brain picks them
    out so quickly that the ideas are incomprehensible
    once I place the words on the paper.
  • Is that confusion?

No comments: