Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Who are you blogging for?

This question has come up around the blogging world lately, and it's one I have to ask myself often. Am I blogging to get the attention of several people, so that they will visit my site and maybe link back? Am I eager for someone 'important' in the blogging world to comment about something I've written?

I have purposely refrained from adding comments to my "Letters to God" blog because my intent is to focus on writing to God, not to get some kind of reaction from someone who might read it. I have, however, recently, noticed myself checking my other blogs too often to see whether someone has noticed something I've written.

I need to remind myself the original reason why I started blogging: for myself. Miles Davis said, "An artist's first responsibility is to himself." And it was Toni Morrison who said
There's a difference between writing for a living and writing for a life. If you write for a living, you make enormous compromises, and you might not even be able to uncompromise yourself. If you write for life, you'll work hard; you'll do what's honest, not what pays.
I pray that I keep these thoughts in mind as I write.

No comments: